Monday, February 20, 2012

Professional Hopes and Goals

One hope that I have when I think about working with children and families who come for diverse backgrounds is that I will continue to lean about different diverse backgrounds of all people around the world, and to make sure that my entire staff are educated to these backgrounds. I also hope that the children and their families that attend our school will learn that many different kinds of families exist in our world and to stop any bias feeling that may have already developed and also prevent any new ones that may develop.
One goal I would like to set for the early childhood field related to issues of diversity, equity, and social justice is in an area that we did not focus on as much and that is the area of children that have social emotional disorders and their families. In most cases I do not feel that these children and their families with these divers’ disorders are treated with equity, and social justice. I feel they are our throw away children who no one wants to have in their classrooms or in many cases their schools. These are the children who quit school or are expelled from school or even put out of school and even the unthinkable children who commit suicide. I would like that the early childhood field make it mandatory that all staff have training when working with children and their parents with this kind of disorders.  I feel we must start early before these children get into the elementary and high schools.
I would like to thank all of my colleagues for all of you insightful posting on our blogs as well in our discussions. I have leaned a lot from all of you. I will take your ideas and use them. I also like to thank Dr. Morgan for all of your help. I hope to have you all for classmates in our next class.  

2 comments:

  1. Alice,

    Those children with social-emotional disorders do tend to be our "throw away" children. They are taxing on us because it is very hard to help them. It is difficult to diagnose, and often in early childhood settings, it is the first time the family has had to truly face that their child is "different" and they may blame themselves. I agree that it's important that early childhood educators be educated in different social-emotional disorders. I also feel that we should be taught how to deal with these difficult situations and how to speak with families about such issues without crossing lines or insulting anyone. What great insight! I have really enjoyed your blog and hope to keep in touch with you throughout your journey through the program. Take good care!

    Be well,
    Raina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alice,
    Great plan to educate early childhood professionals on social emotional disorders. I think all children should be given a fair chance at education regardless of the challenges they face.
    I have enjoyed reading your blog and learning such great things from you throughout this class. Good luck in the future, and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete