Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression

What memory do you have of an incident when you experienced bias, prejudice, and/or oppression, or witnessed someone else as the target of bias, prejudice, and/or oppression? Keep in mind that one can encounter such incidents in real contexts, including online environments, as well as in fictional ones, such as movies, books, television shows, and the like.
In what way(s) did the specific bias, prejudice and/or oppression in that incident diminish equity?
I experience bias, prejudice, and oppression very early in my life. I am an African American woman who is very fair. I feel most of the prejudices came from some of the children who I attended school with. I was called names such as “you white/black girl”, “You yellow girl”, “you mustard girl”, but what I think that want hurt me the most was that who I thought were my friends would say “ You just think you are cutie because you have long hair, green eyes, and have white skin” I remember going home and asking my mom if I was white,  she reassure me that I was not white but that I had many different  nationally  that flow through my blood.  She then explain that grandpa Long who was her father was half American Indian and half Caucasian, and that my other grandpa Guynn my father’s father was half Italian and half African Italian. After my mother explain my nationally it seem to be OK with being fair skin. I was still called names so I just punched them in the mouth. I was some what of a fighter. I guess growing up with so many brothers I learn how to rascal and fight if I had too.  
What feelings did this incident bring up for you?
This incident brought up to me trying to understand racism not only with in my own race but all racism all around me. I went from an all black grade school to a majority white school. I heard how white people were not fair to people of color, and I experience some of that in high school. In high school is where I was first called the “N” word. I was so confuse because I did not want to dislike white people because my grandfather was half white. But I did because my grandfather did not clam to be white he told everyone he was a black. I ask my mother why grandpa said he was black and she said because of the way he was treated by white people and how my grandmother, mother and her brothers and sisters were treated. So I grew up not trusting Caucasian. As I grew up I did develop some friends that are Caucasian but I never looked at them as Caucasian but good friends.
What and/or who would have to change in order to turn this incident into an opportunity for greater equity?
I guess I would have to change in order to turn this incident into an opportunity of greater equity. As I grew into an adult I know that all Caucasian are not closed minded to different cultures. I do sometimes have trust issues this is something I need to work on.

3 comments:

  1. Alice,

    I have never understood the microaggressions that target people of mulitiple ethnicities. In reality, the majority of our society are people made up of multiple heritages. For example, I am Italian, Irish and Scottish. The only difference would be that the majority of my ancestors were white and therefore my skin tone has never come into question.

    Recently, I had a student teacher in my classroom whose mother was black and father was white. She was ridiculed by my students; called an "oreo" and "yellow boned." She explained to me how hard it was to grow up and not be "black enough" for her black family or "white enough" for her white family. I wonder if our society will ever get to the point where we are all just accepting of one another.

    Thank you for sharing your story. Great post!
    Raina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am galad you did not let other people discourage you from having different friends from different races beacuse it gave you the opportunity to learn that all people are different and get to know them for yourself and keep educating children will continue to help you grow thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alice,
    It's good that you formed your own opinions about caucasians and developed good friendships as you got older. Some people never try to change their attitudes and thinking about other races and live in the past forever.
    I sure you will make progress with your trust issues. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete