Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Final Blog Assignment Issues and Trends See You In Our Next Class

The organization that I chose to learn more about throughout this class was a organization called CHIP (Childhood Poverty Research and Policy Center). They are a research organization that keeps the word out about poverty around the world. Just knowing that over 600 million children world-wide lives in absolute poverty - an estimated 1 in 4. In many countries, rates are much higher with over 60 percent of children living in households with incomes below international poverty lines. Over 10 million children under five still die every year from preventable diseases - the vast majority of them in developing countries. As one of the most powerless groups in society, children often bear the physical and emotional costs of poverty. This organization has broadened my knowledge of poverty around the word and with the links that were provided I also researched groups such as Chronic Poverty Research Center (CPRC) which is an international partnership of universities, research institutes and NGOs which exists to focus attention on chronic poverty. It aims to stimulate national and international debate; deepen understanding of the causes of chronic poverty; and provide research, analysis and policy guidance that will contribute to its reduction, and still others such as Save the Children who work in more than 120 countries, they save children's lives. They fight for their rights of children. They help children fulfill their potential. Learning that the world's worst food crisis is in Kenya, Somalia and Ethiopia where devastating drought and soaring food prices are leaving children desperately and malnourished. I know I can not do much for these children but to put them in my prayer everyday, but it also let me know that I should be doing my part here in my community were children are living in poverty.
I have truly enjoyed that class reading your blogs as well as our discussions. Cheryl my grandfather was half Aniyunwiya most know as Cherokee Indian and I do not know much about my culture as a Native American but after reading your blogs and discussion I will be doing this very soon. I thank you for opening my mind to the Native American culture. I have also enjoyed reading all the rest of my colleague’s blogs and discussions. Learning about different countries and there ideal in daycare has also broaden my knowledge. I hope that we will be in the next class together to continue to lean and share with each other.

2 comments:

  1. Alice,
    I have also enjoyed reading you posting and learning about your experiences with contacting other educators, I have learn a lot from each of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your interesting comments and I hope I see you in a future class!

    ReplyDelete