Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Time Well Spent




Some of my favorite quotes

The wider the range of possibilities we offer children, the more intense will be their motivations and the richer their experiences. We must widen the range of topics and goals, the types of situations we offer and their degree of structure, the kinds and combinations of resources and materials, and the possible interactions with things, peers, and adults.
~Loris Malaguzzi

"Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
~Martin Luther King Jr.

 Pausing to listen to an airplane in the sky, stooping to watch a ladybug on a plant, sitting on a rock to watch the waves crash over the quayside - children have their own agendas and timescales.  As they find out more about their world and their place in it, they work hard not to let adults hurry them.  We need to hear their voices. 
~Cathy Nutbrown

Children need the freedom and time to play.  Play is not a luxury.  Play is a necessity. 
~Kay Redfield Jamison



 






Walden University master’s program, Early Childhood Studies - Teaching Adults in Early Child Care has been a wonderful journey for me. Learning new ways to teach and to explore Avenues I would have never experience if I had not attended Walden U.

One of my deeply felt leanings was getting on the “Save the Children” email News letter. I would not have ever signed up for this email if I had not been in Dr. Anthony Morgan’s class. One day I would like to be a part of this organization what a wonderful group of people who is all about children.  If you would like to get emails from Save the Children just write to them at emailnews@mailsavethechildren.org.uk

The second deeply felt learning was from the discussions that I and my colleagues had every week. I learn more about myself as well as my classmate through our thoughts and feeling on different issues. Giving each other advice and suggestions help me grow in knowledge form people I do not know but understand, because we all believe in the same goal helping children and their families.

The third deeply felt learning was me myself. I have been through a lot in my 58 years of life. These classes brought out feeling that I have buried for many years. I can say that I have grown from facing them. Even going through this class I have gone through challenges and I was sure I was not going to make it, but here I am in my last class. Thanking God, my instructors as well as my colleagues for such a life changing experience.

My long term goal is to start my school and community center. Reaching out to families that need support and a kind hand, some one who will listen to their stories without judgment, and someone that will have a safe place for them to come when they feel lost.

I would like to say to my colleagues, Thank You! You shared your life experiences with the class that helped us all. I love the blogs as well as the discussion we had weekly. I believe you are all great women who love children and want the best for them in every way. Keep your dream in front of you at all time and let God lead your way. I cannot wait to meet you all at our graduation. Congratulations and may God bless you all thanks again.

I would like to say to all of my professors’ thank you for this journey I have walked through at Walden University. It has not been easy for me. I appreciate all the support that was given to me through out the years. I have learned how strong I am, and how I can do anything I put my mine to. Dr. Davis the capstone project was my biggest challenge, but I feel I learn so much about what I want in my professional life and now it is up to me to make it happen. Thank you for everything. I will keep my dream in front of me, and I do believe I will accomplish my goals. Thanks again to all of my Professors, my god bless you all.

Alice Guynn

10 comments:

  1. Alice,

    You are right, it has not been easy. I don't think it's been an easy ride for anyone. Some of the wierdest things will happen in life specifically when you are focused on other things at the time. For each of us, we wanted to reach this goal, but knowing the hurdles we jumped to get here only invites us to move mountains!

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tina,

      It has been all good. I hope to see you at our Graduation. May God be with you and your family.

      Alice

      Delete
  2. Dear Alice,
    Something moved inside of me when I read the quote from Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. This will be something that I carry with me throughout my early childhood professional career--"our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter". Thank you for your insightful input and the incredible impact you have had on us all. My prayers are with you for a successful and fulfilling career as an early childhood professional. God bless you in your endeavors.

    Cymantha Channey-White

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Cymantha,

      I hope to see you at our Graduation, May God be with you and your family.

      Alice

      Delete
  3. Dear Alice,
    We are made to overcome challenges and I am so glad we all made it thus far. It was longest eighteen months of my life. We have overcome this one and continue to overcome and win as we progress in life. Thank you so much for your insightful contributions in our discussion and blog assignments, I really learned a lot from you. I wish you all the best and God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry; I saw too many typos so I deleted my comment. I am re-posting it now.

      Delete
  5. Dear Alice:

    Like Cymantha, I was moved by your post. I have also felt I have gone through some personal challenges. And like you, I have grown through this experience. This have not been just a profession journey but a very personal one as well.

    Thank you for your inspirational post and I wish you the best for your future goals.
    LouAnn Rhodes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Alice,

    I can relate to you in several ways. I too am in my late fifties and this was not easy. I will be 57 in January. Also I agree with you that the exposure we received to the many resources, websites, agencies, and even each other has been so enlightening! I too am forever changed as I now have the tools and resources to continue learning. I wish you the best and God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alice,

    Listen at you talk about your age and how this course was not so easy for you. I have to agree with you on that because this has been one tough course for me, especially this last class. I have gone through so much in these last few weeks but thanks to all my classmates as yourself for the help of me pushing my way through, otherwise I couldn't have done it by myself. Also, we had a great instructor as Dr. Davis to help us as well; couldn't never made it without her.
    I wish you the best of luck as you continue to learn in the early childhood field. Remember, learning never stops.

    Tracey

    ReplyDelete