Saturday, May 7, 2011

Establishing Professional Contacts



I was unable to speak with anyone from other cultures out side of the United States. I was able to speak with many of my friends who are from different countries. One of my friends is from Mexico, one from Nigeria and another from Hungary. They all are going to gather emails and phone numbers of family and friends who are still live in there home land. I have also e-mail two UNICEF Websites with no reply as of yet. I also started a facebook page with International Child Resource Institute (ICRI) I am so impress with this organization that I will be joining I will also be joining National Black Child Development Institute and The World Forum Foundation.



I had to put this article on my blog I just could not believe what I was reading. You think you have it bad until you read someone else's problems. I will never complain again when one of my teachers call in sick.

In the article Early Childhood Trends around the World open my eyes to what is going on in the world in early childhood. In The article it states that in Nepal’s during the 11-year long armed conflict in Nepal, a large number of people living in rural and remote areas of the country migrated to the urban areas, mostly to the Terai (plain) areas. On one hand, the number of students in the schools in the hilly regions has dropped. In some schools there are more teachers than students. On the other hand, the number of students in the schools in the urban plain areas has increased disproportionately. A single classroom has to accommodate more than 200 students and be taken care of by a single teacher. This has led to a shortage of physical facilities and teachers and adversely affects the academic environment of the schools as well as the overall performance of the children. On top of that, the school authorities and teachers are not trained to deal with the psychological trauma the children are living with because of their exposure to different violent incidences during the conflict. Interestingly, even after the restoration of peace, people are not willing to return to their original places Neugebauer 2007. I could not imagine being this teacher.

1 comment:

  1. Have you made any contacts yet? I still have been unsuccessful. I can't believe the article you posted! Those poor teachers, and even more, those poor kids! Thank you for sharing and bringing more attention to the matter.

    ReplyDelete